Saturday, October 13, 2007

Gus. Prejudice? It can't be.

Tonight we went to the Pinnacle Promenade to find Charlie some shoes. He has now graduated to a size 8 & had been wanting to use money out of his piggy bank for weeks. He was so proud when he picked out his own shoes & paid for it with his own money. . .although he had no idea that he came up more than $10 short & when I asked him later how much his shoes cost, he told me $76. As we were trying on shoes, Gus was happily playing with the wooden box toy when a African American boy came & stood beside him. Gus lost it. He screamed & screamed & screamed. He looked like he had seen a ghost and had been kicked in the stomach at the same time. The boy didn't even bother Gus a bit. We are pretty sure that Gus was scared because he'd never seen any other skin color than white. . .and I was embarrassed because I'm pretty sure the mother of the boy knew what had happened. Gus needs more diverse friends.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my, Gus needs to get out more! Haha! I bet that was really embarassing!

Anonymous said...

oh tanya! haha thats so embarassing, im sorry. Its funny though, i told my roommate.

Anonymous said...

Gosh that's a tough one....I mean how do you go about finding friends of other nationalities.... I know the only person I can think of that ever came to my house that was of a different nationality was Gloria Gillette, and that was only because she was adopted. I never saw an african american person at school my whole life till college.

Anonymous said...

Now that is pretty crazy beth!

Anonymous said...

wow whites are the minority in Texas pretty much, there are more hispanic, asian, muslim, and black people than white people!