Sunday, June 15, 2008

Long post.

Church starts at 10. The boys took a bath & then took a bath & then took a bath again. I mean got dressed & then undressed & dressed & undressed &. . .you get it. No big deal--Randy & I were getting ready for church anyway. Well, the final time in the tub, Charlie got out first & left Gus in the tub alone. Gus was mad----we aren't really sure what about----but we are usually unsure----so he just sat in the tub & fussed. Nothing too overwhelming, just a hoot or a wholler here & there. After about 5 minutes, Charlie started to act up and continuously came into the living room where we were getting ready to leave for church, telling us that Gus was "splashing" water. We instructed Charlie to stop tattling (to no avail) and he tattled about 5 more times----at that point it was time for Gus to get out of the tub anyways so we wouldn't be late----it wasn't until I entered the bathroom until I saw the "splashing" to which Charlie was referring. Gus pretty much splashed water all over the floor----as much as he could muster out of the tub in the 15 minutes he was in there. I felt silly, too----after all the "not tattling" talk I gave to Charlie. We had quite the mess to clean up. We soaked up 3 full size bath towels in cleanup.


Made it to church fine. Gus went to nursery & Charlie went to the 3 year old's class-sunbeams. Ila was really fussy (gotta cold) so I had to walk the halls the last 30 minutes of church. As I was passing Charlie's class, I heard him screaming. Seemed strange to me because he is SO well behaved at church & usually saves the screaming for me at home. Just as I was passing by, his teacher brought him out into the hall. She explained he was completely fine ---everyone was having a fun time & then she said he just dazed off into the chalkboard & then started screaming and said he wanted his mommy. He was REALLY crying----tears, red face---the whole bit. Charlie RARELY cries tears. Most of his crying is for drama purposes only & comes tearless. Anyway, I couldn't get him to stop crying or even tell me what happened. After about 5 or 6 minutes of hysterical screaming, he pulled himself together just enough to tell me that he "swallowed a mint whole." So sad!! He continued crying & crying & crying for about 5 more minutes which I was surprised about because I thought we'd gotten over the tough part. . .and then out of nowhere---he puked on the floor----a little phlegm & a little purple lifesaver candy. Gross, I know. The lifesaver was about 70% of the way sucked---in one piece. He was so scared. I'm sure it REALLY hurt him and REALLY scared him. Randy & I had to show him the universal sign for choking---especially since he didn't want to tell anyone what was happening. He was very intent when Randy was explaining to him what he needs to do the next time he chokes----which is hopefully never----so that's good.


Father's Day was great for Randy---he got to sleep in----I made breakfast---he got a beard trimmer---and Charlie & Gus sang him a song. I even made his FAVORITE dish yesterday----beth & bekki wanted the recipe---so here goes. (hope it works for you---I usually just eyeball, smell & taste when it comes to this recipe) I had a great day, too----and Ila even said "mama mama mama"---her voice sounded so cute saying my name----she wasn't referring to me, though---not just yet----but I loved it anyway!


I got a new diaper bag/purse yesterday when I went shopping with the Murray girls'. It's much more hip than my other bag----the bag that Randy says "looks like a 'free' bag anyway," It was a free bag---which explains why he thinks that. I admit it's a boring, black bag, with one broken zipper---but I loved it anyway---the Murray girls' talked me into a new bag. . .or maybe I just talked myself into it. Bekki said she heard a bigger bag would make your butt look smaller----I need my butt to look bigger---so Beth was trying to find me a smaller bag (not sure if it works that way)----but the small bags just didn't suit my diaper, undie, snack, hand santizer-carrying needs right now---so I think I got a bag that makes my butt disappear. Great---it's cute, though. Randy says I "deserve it." What a great guy.

Avocado Rice

1) Grill chicken breasts---I usually use a mild creole seasoning. Shred when cooled.
2) Mince onion. Dice celery.
3) Boil rice in chicken broth---rice needs to be dry---no excess water. Refrigerate rice until cold. I prefer instant rice---
4) Dice avocado---place in seperate bowl----

This is how I set it up---
1 bowl for the chicken, onion, celery.
1 bowl for avocado.
1 bowl for the cold rice mixed with garlic power, hot sauce (red stuff), and lime.

If you mix it all together---it just doesn't keep well.

I do the garlic powder, hot sauce, and lime to taste. Serve over lettuce or other greens. Yummy!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

What an exciting and scary day you all had today. I am so so glad that Charlie turned out to be able to get that candy up himself, since no one knew he was choking still. Thank goodness for God watching over him when he needed help. How awesome that Ila has started talking already. Did you take your new purse to church today Tanya? Did anyone notice you traded it in instead of the black bag? Thanks for the recipe. I'll let ya know how it turns out. Do you think it will work without the hot sauce stuff?

Anonymous said...

Poor Charlie - how scary! Good for him to know the universal sign for choking. Your story of the trauma before church reminded me of the screaming tantrums Maggie would have before church when she was about 2 over socks! I used to dread Sunday mornings.

Thanks for the recipe - sounds yummy!

Hope to see ya'll soon!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you guys had a lot happen this weekend!! I can hardly believe my sweet little Hound making such a mess...but I guess he is 2...and poor Charlie! I bet choking on his lifesaver was really scary!! Glad to hear he's alright though and has learned from the experience.

Anonymous said...

All I can say is "Bless Charlie's heart!" I know that was so scary for him... Roxanne would have the same trauma before church, etc. She did not like tags, the seams on socks! I remember one time we were trying to do a family photo for church and she did not like the long sleeves on her dress! She cried and cried! Now she will be 20 on Sunday! And she Bungy jumped in Thailand! Oh my adventurous one!

Anonymous said...

Go Roxanne...bungy jumping and everything! That sounds so fun!