Sunday, September 21, 2008

One hot mama.

Randy & I participated in a pioneer trek with the youth back in July.


The trek reunion (where they show the video that was made of the events & also pictures) was last night & it brought back memories.


I DID NOT want to go on the trek & Randy actually signed us up (without me KNOWING) & then had to talk me into it. He assured me that it would be a great experience. . .wouldn't promise that I would EVER want to do it again----but that it would STILL be a great experience.


So, thanks to the help with our kids that our friends offered (thank you, thank you, thank you!!)

We were on our way.


I cried myself to sleep (seriously) the night before we left, saddened that I would have to be without my sweet children for the 3 days & also frightened about the experience that was lying ahead. I'm just not an outdoors kind of a girl & dirt is no friend of mine----and sweating----none to be found from me. . .if I start to sweat, I sit down (seriously).


How it went---I LOVED it----OH how I LOVED it. We had handcarts & were all allowed to bring a 5 gallon bucket, with only the belongings they had specified we could bring. We slept under the stars, cooked over a fire, and were a ma & pa to 7 youth. We wore pioneer clothing, including long sleeves, bloomers, long skirts/dresses & bonnets.


I learned:

1) To sweat & not sit down

2) To walk & walk & walk & walk some more & SING---oh how we SANG!!

3) That I am incapable of pushing a handcart up a hill & that the pioneers were EXTREMELY blessed in SO many ways----and without the MEN, well, we need'em & how when they left for the women's pull (when just the women pushed the cart up the hill---and the men "went to war") & then returned, oh how I CRIED in complete appreciation for the sacrifice of the pioneer families, men & women, way back when.

4) "One" has to pick up her (I'm not naming names, here!) skirt & other clothing when peeing

5) I am ABSOLUTELY grateful for the organization of the FAMILY & how a family can come together & accomplish MIRACLES.

6) Most of all---I once thought that I wouldn't have been able to be a pioneer---but I take it all back---I would've been a GREAT pioneer. . .hopefully I would've lived!

7) Oh & last of all, Randy was wrong---I would totally do the trek again.


before picture

3 comments:

banananutmeg said...

where is the "after" picture?

What a great experience for you guys! Hopefully "no one" will have to pee in the woods again any time soon...especially in a skirt!

You look great in a bonnet

Sarah said...

Wow Tanya, sounds like you had a great time! I didn't know you enjoyed it so much! Now Randy and Bobby are going to try to get us to go camping or something...and I am still no friend of dirt, bugs, or sweat!

Rachel - Arkansas said...

Thanks for sharing your experience. I am so proud of you. Are you telling me you don't like camping? You had me believing you liked camping?!